Thursday, September 4, 2008

A sight I'll miss.

So I wake up this morning and I go out in the living room and I see this (pic). That is Tom Coker, a friend of my son's, asleep on the couch - good thing Melody didn't come out in her skivvies!

Anyway - this is not an unusual site - we really never know who might be spending the night at our house. We always wanted our place to be "the place" where our kids and their friends want to hang out. The upside is that we have a good handle on what they are doing and who they are doing it with. The down side - the fridge is usually hit pretty hard. And of course there are the times I have to remind them it's 1:30 AM and some of us are not nocturnal creatures who can sleep in till early afternoon. But I wouldn't trade it for a minute.

When I saw "sleeping beauty" on the couch a sadness hit me. My son, Jon, turned 21 yesterday. And while we had hoped he would be in college this semester, the fact he's still here is really quite OK with us. We are very proud of Jon. He's turning into a very fine young man.

But he is a man, a man that will eventually be on his own. A man who will one day have a family to take care of. A man who I pray God will use mightily. A man that will not be bringing his friends by the house any more. A man who won't be raiding my fridge at 2:00 AM. A man I will miss deeply.

Jon - I love you! Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

The Baconator said...

LOL. This is also the type of household I've always wanted and love when I am home and there are tons of kids in the house. Funny when I get in late and am attacked at the door and get bad looks or attitude when I don't hug the right person first lol.