Saturday, September 13, 2008

Finish well

The other day I was playing golf and I was on fire. On the front nine I had a birdie and an eagle - my first eagle in about 10 years. I'm not that good of a golfer - lol. Anyway I finished the front nine with a 38 - (one over par for that course) - Very good for me.

Then it happened and I don't know why. Was it the hot dog I ate at the turn? Was it just taking too much time before I teed up again? Maybe it was just bad karma. But it happened - between the front and the back nine I forgot how to play golf. As good as the front was (+1) the back was horrible (+10). Ten over par on the back! UGGGHHHH!

They say in many things in life it's good to finish strong. In music you can sometimes get away with a poor beginning if you finish strong. I know this is true in sermons. And I think it's true in life. It's even good in golf - at least it's good for your attitude. I've said many times, "A good last couple of holes has kept my clubs off eBay".

So how are we doing in the spiritual world? Most of us know we didn't begin well. We're sinners on our way to hell and then we meet Jesus. That's a step in the right direction BIG TIME! But how are we doing now? Are we getting better at following the master or are we slipping? Are we in position to "finish well"?

Golf is about two things. Golf is about "distance and direction". Our life with God is about the same two things. When we focus on Him he sets the direction for us. And when we trust him to empower us he helps us with the distance. And only then will we finish well.

No comments: