Thursday, September 25, 2008

Bail Out

So let me see if I have this right. If I don't pay my bills but take the cash to Keeneland trying to hit it big but loose it all instead - somebody will call a meeting of a bunch of elected officials and tell all my neighbors that they are going to take their money and bail me out. But of course when I go back to Keeneland trying to hit it big again and win all my money back I will give it to the same officials and they will in turn pay back my neighbors.

Yes, that's what the 700 billion dollar bail out sounded like to me - REALLY NICE PLAN.

But then I got to thinking about this from a spiritual perspective. Lets see how this same scenario works.

As a church and as believers God has entrusted us with "spiritual" treasures. But when we don't use them for His glory it's like going to Keeneland and wasting it. And for what purpose - we're trying to hit it big. We want to be successful on our terms. We want our pound of flesh when we've been hurt instead of being forgiving. We want someone else to risk telling our neighbors about Jesus.

And just like our US economy there is coming a pay day.

Maybe someone will come along and bail us out too... but I doubt it.

4 comments:

We're One more Day Closer said...

I can't stand the whole financial market thing... it is nothing more than legalized gambling. I wrote something on my blog a while back called Wally-Street, because the whole thing infuriates me. The market reminds me a lot more of Wally World than the Financial Center of our world. I would just as soon see the whole thing go to Heck in a hand basket and pick up the pieces and start over… we are only prolonging the inevitable any way because even with this bail out nothing has changed. The same people who wrecked the train are still driving it.

But from a personal spiritual level, I am very glad God gave me a bailout package, but part of the deal is, “I wasn’t allowed to drive the train anymore”.

Anonymous said...

Our family might be one of the ones that the government is trying to help out of this hole with this deal. Not really sure I understand the whole bail-out thing. But from reading the blog, that wouldn't be a good thing then? We're making others pay for our mistake of not handling our finances better? (Just to note, we don't go to Keeneland, but could probably have planned better for such a bad situation in the economy).

So this would mean the right thing to do would be not to accept help that may come from Bush's plan? Just want to do the right thing.....Any advice would be welcomed.

Deano said...

Dear "trying to do the right thing".

While the deal has still not been struck - my concerns were not so much with a bail out - but with a bail out of who? And I think bailing them out with a loan would be better than just giving them the money.

A lot of hard working, honest people are suffering - and they need our help. So much of their loss is coming because of the misdealings of these wall street bandits.

I have some friends in the building industry that are really hurting - why? Not because they didn't work hard, not because they are dishonest. No they are hurting because the housing market has tanked and that has been driven by the Wall Street mess.

If you would like to call me feel free we could talk about this more.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dean! That really helped me out! I have had a hard time understanding this whole political situation, but I do know that God is with us, all around us. From a pastor like you, Harmony, and just people that pass my way everyday. A lot of families and businesses are suffering, and I pray for them all everyday. Regardless of it all, my family has God and Jesus and each other. By Them there is glory in all. We are truly blessed.

God, just let all stay strong. Amen