Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Rage against the Machine

I read Perry Noble’s blog and it was sort of a rant – I’ve been chewing on something for a bit so I thought I’d post my own – NOTE – please read all of this.

I’m frustrated with Elders who think their job is to make sure the minister does his.

I’m frustrated with Elders who think protecting the flock means they have to make sure they have control over every dime that is spent, and a finger in every pie.

I’m frustrated with Elders who say they want the church to grow but do everything in their power to “protect” the church from any changes that would facilitate growth.

I’m frustrated with Elders who settle for mediocre because extraordinary might scare some folks.

I’m frustrated with Elders who think it’s easier to change preachers than it is to change themselves.

I’m frustrated with Elders who constantly compare their church with the bigger church down the street and yet won’t see that the leadership of that church is actually leading.

I’m frustrated with Elders who think the church is a democracy when it is a theocracy. Men who run the church by popular vote instead of by prayer and fasting.

I’m frustrated by Elders who’s spiritual gift is making the preacher’s life hell.

I’m frustrated by Elders who keep people from using their God given gifts.

I’m frustrated by Elders who help people merrily on their way to hell, because they don’t follow the risen Christ – but faithfully hold up the banner of tradition.

I’m frustrated that many of my friends have Elders (and Deacons) just like I have described.

But I am thrilled to say – I’m not on that list. I have a group of Elders who know the King of Kings and desire to know Him more. I have a group of Elders who are not afraid of change. I have a group of Elders who get it. They have a burning desire to see changed lives and that starts in the mirror. I have a group of Elders who see me as more than a hired hand – they see me as a partner. I have a group of Elders that some would kill for. I have a group of Elders that make it easy to love. And I do – I love everyone of you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you! I've just come from a church where one person made my life a living hell! That person was a member of the staff that I could not fire because she had the undying support of the board. So, instead, I left. I think sometimes that was the hell I had to live through so I would appreciate what I have now.

Soren said...

Praise the Lord! Brother, I'm happy for you and I'm glad to report that I can "Amen" what you said when it comes to the elders at Cedar Creek.