Saturday, August 23, 2008

A house divided

I'm sitting here at my computer and the US Women are playing the Aussies in the Gold medal round of the Olympics and then I started thinking about another big game.

In just 8 days the entire state will be focused on Papa John's Stadium - at least those who watch football. While most will be glued to the TV some lucky fans will be in D'ville. (Do they call it D'ville because cardinal fans can't spell Louisville?)

It used to be for me (and most KY fans) that opening day of football season was the start of the countdown. In this case it would mean only 65 days till basketball - UK basketball.

But next Sunday Kentucky will travel to Louisville to play the unranked Cardinals. OK - we're unranked too... (is anyone surprised). I did find it interesting though that UK received 5 votes in the coaches poll while Uof L received only 3.

Over the last few years UK football has gotten better - a lot better. Now we're not talking BCS bowls yet - but I think we can and will whip the Cards.

Then I got to thinking about Andrew our youth minister. He's a huge Uof L fan - not sure how he got through the interview process with that in the closet. Anyway - I know he reads this so this is sort of an open blog challenge to him. I propose a friendly wager - the winner gets a drink of their choice (soda pop, coke, etc). Mine of course would be the nectar of the gods (Diet Dew)...

So Andrew - are you in?

2 comments:

Brett Oliver said...

Mine's Diet Pepsi Max...if you are game, Andrew?!?

Brett

Andrew Gill said...

look, i'm not buying the whole church their favorite soft drink :)

but, seeing how that's not going to be an issue, you can all buy me some ale 8 to share with my son as we gloat over the cards' victory.