Friday, August 15, 2008

Dads and Champions


Yep – I did it again… I cried while watching the Olympics – Now it was not some gut busting sob so my guys can just forget giving me grief about it… (My “guys” are the men in my life team). But there were tears in my eyes as I watched Nastia Liukin take the Gold in the women’s all-around.

It was not just because she won the Gold – but that was SWEET! And to see her and Shawn Johnson go 1-2 was fabulous – what talent these kids have! It was not because she was another American making us proud. It was because of the way she and her dad embraced.

“It’s 20 years earlier that I competed in the Olympic Games,” he said. “I was second in that one. I guess it’s nice to fix the little mistake that I had, so I am very proud of my baby.”

Her dad, Valeri Liukin – won the silver for Russia 20 years ago and did not really want his daughter following his footsteps. He and her mother (another world class athlete) wanted her to play piano. But she could not be stopped.

As a dad I thought to myself – as proud as Nastia must have been – it could not compare to the feeling he was having. I know what it’s like to be recognized for successes and it’s nice. I have been blessed to have some really big days where my own pride swelled (In good ways).

But that pride is eclipsed in my children. I cried when my two oldest Beth and Jon graduated from HS. I cried when my youngest Christina (Nina) gave her life to Jesus. I cried when I saw my oldest play and sing in a praise team at church for the first time – all the years of listen to piano paid off. I was visibly moved when my son took the stage with his “ax” and saw his fingers fly across the neck of that instrument (all to the glory of God). I cried when my Daughter and Son-in-Law (Dale) made me a grandpa. The list goes on. I am daily amazed at how they are growing.

I have “won some medals” in my life – but what I see in them is pure gold. And when I see my oldest now expecting another little gold winner – I see how much better she is at this than I ever was.

So Valeri Liukin – I get it, thanks for sharing your daughter with the world – Good job man! And babies (that's what I call Beth now) Go for the Gold - your daddy is unbelievably proud of you.... It's a wonderful thing to be a dad surrounded by champions. OK - I got something else in my eye now...

1 comment:

Soren said...

I think the verklemptness factor increases as we age. My friends and I joke that pretty soon we'll be shedding a tear at the Grand Opening of a new Wal-Mart.