Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Go for the gold!


OK - I'll admit it - I love the Olympics - Summer and Winter alike. I'm burning up my DVR every day so I can catch as much of the games as possible. And like most Americans and probably the vast majority of Swimming fans I am just engrossed with Michael Phelps.

He has won 5 gold medals already and is the favorite to win 3 more - he has already become the most decorated Olympian in history but what did it take? And to put a spiritual spin on it - what can I learn from this in my own spiritual life?

Vision - From the age of 11 Michael Phelps believed he would win an Olympic gold. In each race he has vison as well. He knows where he's at and knows where he has to go. My vision for the "prize" began at age 7 and was re-kindled at 14 and I really don't think I've ever lost focus of the ultimate goal of eternity. But I have to admit in the day to day races I sometimes get out of focus. This may be a shock - but sometimes ministry itself offers the greatest amount of distraction. What I can learn from Michael Phelps is that I have to stay true to the vision every day, I have to avoid the "other stuff" that fights for my attention and affection.

Coaching - Very few exceptional Olympians have made it without great coaches - Phelps is no exception, and neither am I. Am so grateful for the men and women of faith who have helped me along the way. And for those who help me now. Sometimes it's the elders of our church or other staff who offer pointers. Often it is reading and listening to ministers of great churches that God uses to challenge something in me.

Team Mates - While Michael Phelps will likely dominate the individual events he cannot win the team events without great team mates. In the relay races he is only one of 4 in the competition. For him to win the gold - they must win the gold. I can't begin to list all those on my team that help me each and every day... Some are family, others are in my life team, I share the stage every week with some, the staff is an awesome team as are the elders.... and for most of you reading this - so are you.

Now I know this sounds like a mini-sermon (but hey that is what I do)... but God, and my relationship with him is the common thread through all of this. He is the source of any vision I have that is worth a hill of beans. His coaching is the only coaching I should listen to, and being on his team is a guaranteed win.

So pray for me as I continue to press toward the prize - I'll do the same for you.

2 comments:

JustMe the Scribbling Idiot said...

Very insightful.

Deano said...

I really think God will speak to us in all kinds of ways if we just listen.... too bad we don't way too often.

I think my draw to the Olympics is that it's just awesome to see anyone do something that well. If we could catch that same spirit in our Christian lives... people would take notice of that.

That's kind of like what Jesus said "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (Mat 5:16 NIV)

OK - It's exactly what He said!