Monday, August 18, 2008

Virginity


I hear people say, “I lost my virginity”. I’ve never said that. If you say you lost something, it’s like “could you help me find it?” Or it’s something you’d like to have back. I understand why some say, "I lost it", and why some would like to have it back.

29 years ago I gave mine away to my wife. And on that same day she gave hers to me. The day we got married we were virgins. Now, I’m not saying that because I am a saint – far from it. And I am not proud of some of the stunts I pulled during my younger days and many since.

On August 18, 1979 I gave away something I had been saving for that very special occasion – and it was special. My wife and I did not have to pretend like we were doing something new, because it was something new, and amazing. Something God had created for our pleasure and enjoyment. Something God used to bless us with three wonderful children.

God has over and over offered “special things” to his children and over and over his children have misused them. Much like the way our culture misuses this wonderful gift of sex.

Our youth minister, Andrew speaks often of how we need to respect and love the creation we have been given – not as sun worshipers and such – but as people who realize the value of what they've been given and the creator behind it.

I see this in the way we waste time – We all have 24 hours, 1440 minutes, 86,400 seconds a day – each of them a gift from God – but how often do we waste them? How many days, weeks, months, even years do we go without using some of that time to meet with Him? To Worship Him? To serve Him?

What about our talents? That is a special gift in each of us. Are we using it only to amass wealth to consume on ourselves? Are we using it to look good? Are we using it to be a blessing to those around us.

While I cannot physically become a virgin again, every day is a new day. Every day I get another chance to use the gifts God is giving me for his glory and so do you. And every day God offers an incredible intimacy with Him and in that way, it's like being a virgin all over again.

Does that rock or what!

No comments: