Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Crazy

I don’t know about you – but do you find yourself picking up phrases from other people? I never used to use the term “meat head” then Brandon Coats (one of my guys) used it and I just added it to my vocabulary.

I remember fishing a few years ago with two truck drivers – who when together could toss around some words I didn’t usually use… and while those words never came out of my mouth – they did cross my mind.

While watching the Olympics I’ve heard a number of the announcers use the term “crazy” – He’s “crazy” fast, that routine was “crazy” hard, those numbers were “crazy” high. It’s like they were picking up the term from each other.

So here’s the question – what terms are we picking up from each other in the church? And more importantly what terms are we picking up from our relationship with God? Jesus said, “For whatever is in your heart determines what you say.” (Mat 12:34 NLT)

So what if we were to pick up the term “crazy” in the same way the Olympic commentators did? And what if it were more than just words? What if we were branded by our community as people that have a “crazy” love for God? Or a “crazy” concern for the needy? Or what if those around felt the “crazy” love we have for each other. What if the way we followed God was just “crazy” good?

Maybe like those in the Olympics we would have the world looking at us in amazement and seeing the God in us who has a "crazy" love for them too.


No comments: