Thursday, October 2, 2008

What's inside?

Did you know that I'm going to be a grandpa again? OK - I know you did - but I just love saying it! And here is the latest pic... Isn't she adorable? Clearly SHE has her grandpa's good looks!

An ultrasound is an incredible thing.... an ultrasound uses sound waves to paint a picture. It can show stuff on the inside without having to actually go inside to see it. Pretty technical explanation right?

With an ultrasound (or sonogram) the sex of baby can be determined and even some birth defects can be found in early stages... it's truly an amazing thing.

But what if we could have a spiritual ultrasound? What would it show about us? Oh sure we all look a certain way on the outside - but what are we really like on the inside? Well God's word tells us that while other people can only see the outside (the part we let them see)... God Himself looks at the heart (the inside).

Now I can portray a certain image to you - but is that really the truth? You can act a certain way around church folks - but what are you really like at work or home? We could all benefit from a "spiritual ultrasound". And God has given us one. When we read His word and listen to His spirit - it reveals the truth about each of us. And while it will not determine the sex of a fetus - it will show some defects within each of us. And yes we all have them.

But it is only then that we can deal with them. It's when we really know the "guts" of the issue that we can be honest and let God help us work on them.

So let me challenge each of you to let God give you a sonogram. I'll do the same.

1 comment:

DH said...

Dean,
Just wanted to drop you a note. At this very moment I am riding on a train in japan. I am listening to your sermon about forgiveness and how we are all on a train going past calvary. You said that no one rides trains anymore...well I am right now. I bet when you gave that sermon that you never dreamed it would be heard by someone actually riding on a train on the other side of the world. God works in some crazy ways..... Keep up the good work and I think you do a great job. I will be listening.....



Daniel Harrison
Sent from my iPod