Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Challenge Flag

Challenge Flag - Guest Blog from Brett Oliver

I love college football. For me a fall afternoon or evening tailgating with friends and family followed by cheering on the Wildcats is what a Saturday was made for.

I got to thinking about the challenge flag in football. You know, the flag a head coach can throw when he wants to challenge the call made on the field. The officials are still in charge of the game, but they aren't perfect and sometimes video replay shows a mistake. The officials recognize that part of the game and rules and allow the coaches to request this review (sometimes "requested" more aggressively and loudly than others!) and challenge their decision.

It got me thinking - who do I have that I allow to throw a challenge flag on me? Who in my life has permission to question a decision or behavior that might prove wrong or not Christ-like? Like the challenge flag, the opportunities for a brother or sister in Christ to challenge me need to be limited. We've all experienced the friend who tells us everything we're doing wrong and never encourages us - we turn a deaf ear to them - even if they sometimes speak the truth. We need those in our life that understand the balance between challenge / rebuke and encouragement.

the challenge flag reminds me that it needs to be done respectfully. The flag may be thrown toward the official in emotion. But the review process is orderly and respected. When we challenge someone is our response orderly and respectful? I need those in my life with the challenge flag and they need the permission to throw them on me.

I encourage each of you to allow those challenge flags to be thrown in your life.

Proverbs 27:17 - "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

We in the body of Christ need each other to keep us on track. Who in your life has the permission to throw the challenge flag? Be sure and let them know soon.

Brett Oliver

2 comments:

Deano said...

Thanks Brett - great post!

We're One more Day Closer said...

One of the things I enjoy most about our particular life team is the accountability to each other. Each person is encouraged and allowed to be honest about who they are and what they struggle with, with out fear of reprisal… and if what they are doing is out of line “in Love” we challenge them and tell them so, while providing the support and accountability needed to make real life changes.