Saturday, November 1, 2008

Warning - PG 13.

OK - the title may be a little bit scary - so here's the deal - I'm going to give some straight talk and use some straight language - also keep in mind I deal with a lot of men one on one ... so for the ladies reading this - please do not be offended. If you are squeamish - just don't read this one.

In our culture we have a lot of people who want to "live off the government tit". Hey - I warned you. But you understand exactly what that phrase means. It speaks to the "entitlement" attitude that is pervasive in our culture. If I get hurt in an accident - I deserve to be a millionaire. If there is some handout - I deserve to be at the head of the line. I deserve to own a home - even if I can't really afford it. The list goes on.

But sadly - this mentality carries over to the church. I'll come to your church if you meet my needs. I'll keep coming until a new church offers some new and exciting program - so you better treat me right. I'll give my money if I like the music. I'll serve if it's cool and does not make me uncomfortable.

In our men's breakfast this morning someone said, "Too many People are trying to live off Dean's tit." OK - that's not a picture you ever wanted to have! But do you understand what it means? Sure you do - there are many, many people that are satisfied to get their spiritual food from me and me alone.

But there are some problems with that.

#1 It's simply not enough - I could never give you enough "milk" to sustain your spiritual life.

#2 It's not balanced - the weekend services are hard. I have the responsibility of giving salty food to the seeker so they get a thirst for God. I give milk to the infant Christian so they can mature, and I want to give some meat to the more mature Christ followers to help them grow stronger. It is very seldom (if ever) that all three can be done in any one weekend.

#3 The biggest problem is that it's just not Biblical. As believers we are called to be self-feeders. We are all called to not only feed ourselves but feed others.

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15 (KJV)

All of us as taxpayers are tired of so many people wanting to "live off the government tit".... It's time we as believers get past "living off the preacher's tit" as well.

It's time to take off the bib and put on an apron!

2 comments:

We're One more Day Closer said...

Amen! and again I say... Amen!

Randy said...

Sorry Dean. I love ya man. But I still can't get that picture out of my mind. LOL