Tuesday, November 18, 2008

103 to 111

103 to 111

Some of you may not know what this means - but if you are a Ky Wildcat fan you do. That's the final score of the KY - VMI game last Friday. And Ky posted the lower number.

So how does a team like Kentucky score 103 points and lose? Simple, you let the other team score at will. Kentucky has long been known as a defensive team - but not on Friday night.

So what about the church? How can we score so many points and still lose? Here's what I mean. We can see a lot of folks come to Christ and yet not see life change. I've been talking about this in the Seek-Grow-Serve-Love series. If you have not been listening check it out.

This weekend I will be talking about love and it's interesting that Paul says some pretty strong things about this in 1 Corinthians 13. Sounds a whole lot like the Kentucky team - they scored big but still lost.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
1 Cor 13:1-3 (NIV)

Let's make sure we get this "love" thing right - we don't want to score a ton and still lose the game!