Thursday, January 8, 2009

Fat Attack!

OK - the good, the bad and the ugly. The good - I've been sticking to the diet, the bad I have not been hitting the treadmill, the ugly - well here it is... 254.8 / +1.1 / 10.2 (today's weight / loss since last post / total loss).

Now for the sermonette (sorry Jon) - so what's the deal?

I not only did not lose any weight in the last couple of days - I actually gained a pound. Well there are some obvious and maybe not so obvious reasons. The obvious - I have not been exercising and I have been eating a little too late in the evening - even though I'm eating within Adkins parameters.

The not so obvious - There are likely some uncounted carbs slipping in somewhere, simple body chemistry and metabolism can be a factor - I may wake up tomorrow having dropped 2-3 pounds. I also know that the first week on a low-carb diet gives you the greatest short term results - but they are slower after that.

So what are the spiritual applications here? Well the obvious - if you don't exercise spiritually (living you life under the direction of the Spirit) you will not be progressing in your walk with Christ (no matter how much you may be learning). If you are putting junk into your life - you will see junk coming out of it too.

The not so obvious - spiritual growth is not always visible (at least not day to day). While growth can and should be ongoing there are times when it really looks like you are making progress and other times when it seems you are not. But if you stay the course seeking God and His will every day there will be an overall growth.

So I'm encouraged - I know what I'm doing, and I know what I need to do... I also know that as irritated as I was to post these numbers today - I'm glad for the encouragement and accountability this gives me.

So thanks for the continued support.

1 comment:

Donovan said...

Hang in there, the reward physically and spiritually is great. On the physical side I feel your pain. I have lost 14 lbs. so far but there are days that I get disappointed in my lack of positive results. I think the key is to weigh at the same time each day.

Jack