Thursday, January 1, 2009

265

OK - I'm putting it out there! I need to do something about my weight! I just jumped on the scale and tipped it at 265! Yes, you can officially call me "fat boy", "tubby", or "the great one". Now to be fair I did pig out A LOT over the last few days with Christmas and New Years festivities so the it might be more like 260 (that's so much better isn't it?)

I even went onto one of those sites that calculates your ideal body weight. When I put in the numbers the computer crashed! Just kidding - but here is what it told me - Ideal weight range 170-187 lbs (77.3-85 kg.). It even did the math for me telling me I was overweight by 73 lbs (33 kg.) And then it even suggested that I may wish to consult with my physician for medical help!

Add to this that recently my Doctor put me on some cholesterol meds and seemed concerned about my "sugar" levels - he was not amused when I just informed him that I'm a sweet kind of guy.

So here's the plan - I get on and stay on a low carb regimen. This will help lose the weight and have the added benefit of being in line with a diabetic diet. (I don't have diabetes yet - but am heading there fast). Should help lower the cholesterol too. It has in the past.

And I need accountability. That's where the blog comes in. I am going to post the numbers every time I post a blog. They will be in this format: weight / total loss / loss or gain since last post. It will look like this (265 / 0 / 0). If I had lost 2 pounds since the last post it would look like this (263 / 2 / 2).

I may even post some other related things - like how long I hit the treadmill, etc.

You don't need to reply to any of this, but you are welcome to. I just need to know there are folks out there I'm "reporting too".

You can pray with me about this too.

This is not just a health issue - it is also an issue of honoring God. I have clearly not been doing this when it comes to my own body.

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. (1 Cor 6:19-20 NIV)

4 comments:

Andrew Gill said...

I'm proud of you Dean, and cheering for you!!

We're One more Day Closer said...

I thought us Bigger guys were just giving God a Larger Temple... you know; more of me to love.

Donovan said...

Great Dean! I too need to lose some weight and I've been trying for about a month. I've lost 12 lbs. so far!!! I'll pray for you and ask you to do the same for me.

God bless you,
Jack

DH said...

I'm with you too. Need to be eating healthier and exercising more! Strength in numbers!