Tuesday, January 20, 2009

_______ - Christian???

246.5 / + .5 / 18.5 - uggghhh

First, let me say how proud I am to be an American today. Seeing the first African-American become president brought tears to my eyes. And while I don't share all his political views (even disagreeing strongly with some) - I do celebrate the American system of democracy. I thought his speech was spectacular and I thought Rick Warren rocked! As to the other guy who prayed - not so much.... ???

But I do have a question - Why is Barack Obama referred to as an African-American? He is 1/2 black and 1/2 white? Why not a Caucasian-American? Or better yet - why not just an American? Why are some people labeled Asian-American, or Mexican-American? Now to be sure African-American is much better than some labels that have been used in the past - but it's still a label.

And what about our Christian labels? What benefit is there in being labeled a Baptist, Lutheran or Methodist? Don't these labels only show our differences instead of celebrating our common faith? Even in the Christian church where many pride themselves on
"the name". Some say, "we don't claim to be the only Christians - just Christians only". And yet the differences quickly find a way to surface often overshadowing the commonality.

And what about us at HCC? Our uniqueness as individuals if unchecked has a way of helping pride to get in the way of true unity. Some might feel that their particular part of the ministry is better than someone elses? Folks that's a big pile of crap! God gave everyone one of us different gifts - but only one purpose. But when the tail (the gifts) wag the dog (the purpose)... we have a mighty wierd looking dog!

Consider this - Jesus' last prayer with his disciples was a prayer for unity. What a mess we have made of that one!

Now before you are tempted to throw something my way. I did not say, nor will I say, as some propose that we toss out doctrine for the cause of unity - but we would certainly do well to make clear distinctions between essential doctrine and preference.

I'm Dean Scott - I'm not a Baptist-Christian, not a Methodist-Christian, and I'm not even a Christian Church-Christian. I'm just a Christ follower (Christian) and that's more than enough to keep me quite busy.

1 comment:

Donovan said...

Amen and well said. I have asked the same question about references to Obama as being a African American. Is he so proud of being half black that he's ashamed of being half white. I know many will say he was raised as a black male and endured the same oppression as blacks. But I would have to challenge some of that with the very fact he was raised by a white woman (his mother). Why can't we be just American as you say? I guess we still have a long way to go when it comes to prejudice among races. I know blacks are proud to have him as our president and well they should be because our nation has come a long way. I will pray for Obama that he will seek God and ask for God to guide him as he leads our nation.

You also made a great comment about being just Christian and not a particular denomination. I agree totally. We need to ask God for wisdom and learn we are all Children of God if we believe in the death and resurrection of Christ, and accept Him as our one and only savior.