Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Who are you working for?

My wife loves the movie Dave (OK - I like it too). It's about a guy who looks like the president and then when the president has a stroke he steps in to help the power brokers stay in power. It stars Kevin Klein and Sigourney Weaver (what a strange name). Anyway at one point in the movie he makes a speech and tells how "he had forgotten who he was hired to work for and that it was a temp job at that".

So how often do we forget the same thing? As a pastor there is a constant temptation to forget who you work for. I don't work for the one who praises everything I do or for the critic who constantly wants me to do things differently. I work for God.

I don't work for me either. When I slip into that mold I wind up seeking the praise of men instead of pleasing God. And believe me - those things are more often than not mutually exclusive.

So what about you? As a Christ follower - you work for God. More specifically we all are to work with God - but you know what I mean. Are you finding yourself working for others? Are you looking around to see who's watching? When you praise are you singing to the crowd or to an "audience of one"?

Dave got it right! He understood he worked for the people (as a president should). And he realized too that it was only temporary. You and I have a temp job too. It will only last a few years - let's all make sure we get the job done right!


Let's remember who we work for.

No comments: