Friday, December 5, 2008

This kicked my butt!


There are many times when I read God's word that it really just hits me in the mouth! This is one such verse.

For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. Mat 6:14-15 (NIV)

Wow! Being the fallen being that I am this smacked me in the face. And I got to thinking about just how well do I forgive? And then I realize as a minister I have this professional level of forgiveness - but is it real? Here's what I mean. As a pastor I "have to be forgiving" - at least on the surface. I don't have the luxury of unloading on people who tick me off. I don't have the luxury of publicly holding grudges. I don't have the luxury of ignoring people who I might really want to.

But what about the "real me" - not the guy on the stage - but the guy in the mirror? How well am I doing there? To be honest I really do try to be forgiving. And most of the time I do pretty well. But there have been times when I hung on way too long. There have been people that have hurt me deeply and I have given in to the wicked side in me that wants them to suffer for what they have done. Of course I'm willing to let God handle the suffering all I ask is that I get a front row seat so I can see it. Yes, that's sick.

As I have been working on this new series - Christmas is Forgiving - it brought this thought again to me. Just how much like Jesus am I when it comes to forgiving others. While the easy answer is - I'm doing great. But then I wonder.

What about you?

1 comment:

my muse, my art said...

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree :) I struggle with the same thing. I am easy to forgive on the outside, but looking in the mirror... it's not so pretty. Looking forward to hearing this series!