Monday, December 22, 2008

Transparency

I had a ton of people come up to me or e-mail me and tell me how much they appreciate my transparency. I thought I'd write about it. I have tried to be transparent for a long time and I think I generally am. I guess I have pretty much been a "here I am, take it or leave it" kind of guy most of my life", but then I got into "the ministry".

I was just amazed at how many people have tried to force me into some "preacher model". You know - the guy who stands up front and looks like he is closer to God than anyone else in the room. The guy who doesn't get real - he just gets religious! I could tell you horror stories of people trying to make me change. But I was blessed by some incredible models and some pivotal things in my earlier years.

#1 - I grew up poor. Not always, but there were times when we had it pretty rough. I can remember a local church bringing us "Christmas" one year. I guess we were somebody's "share the joy project". Although I was pretty young - I still remember the hot wheel track I played with for hours.

#2 - I remember having to use food stamps. Melody and I were the proud parents of a baby girl (Beth) and the economy of the early 80's was in the tank. We got food stamps for 3 months. I can remember going to the next town to shop so I would not run into anyone I knew.

#3 - I worked in the public sector at a Carpet Mill in Dalton Ga for about three years. I know 1st hand what most people have to face every day. I have not forgotten what it's like in the real world.

#4 - I have failed miserably a number of times. And while I was blessed to learn from them - I have also never tried to cover them up. I really am a huge monument to God's grace.

#5 - I literally get sick when I see men and women of God who I know good and well have "issues" just like me and everyone else, who publicly act like they have it all together.

#6 - I read God's word and see it filled with the stories of great men and women of God who had real struggles, real failures, real hurts, and real forgiveness.

I want to live my life helping people see God's grace - what better way can I do this than show them the grace I myself have found. And in my thinking this only happens when we are transparent.

So, thanks for the kudos - but I'm just doing what I was encouraged to do years ago. I'm just preaching what I know. I don't know much - but I do know this. Where sin abounds - God's grace abounds more.

Thank you Jesus for loving me. I'm still amazed every day that I get to share what you have done for me with others. Lord, help me not blow it!

3 comments:

Donovan said...

Great post!!! I for one truly appreciate your transparency and honesty. I too have failed miserably but I know my sins were thrown into the sea. Please do not change! As I have told you before it is refreshing to see a man of God who is able to realize his dependence on God. I am so tired of playing church; I was drying up spiritually until God led me to Harmony.

God bless you and thank you for being just as you are!

my muse, my art said...

I am so proud to be your daughter...
I love you

hopesjoe2005 said...

yours is the first blog i have ever visited, and i think i should say, i feel i know you, i know in my heart that what you say is true, much like you i grew up poor, didn't know it, and didn't mind it, taught me to work for what i wanted, love life, not "things" (nothing wrong with them) just not the most important. the way we grew up helped make us what we are today. I too am transparent, what you see is what you get. don't have your polish or class, lol, or you education, but we are alot alike is some ways. back to knowing you, the only person that knows you better would be the wife, the only girl you ever dated that was good enough for you! told her that the day you got married, and again at your 25th aniversary party! its true! fought with you, for you and against you at different times, sometimes face to face, sometimes back to back! love you big bro! i am so proud to be your brother, and so proud of you and what you have become! Joe