Tuesday, March 17, 2009

NIT

242 / 0 / -23 (I hit the treadmill - Andrew!)

OK - I'm a little bummed - UK will play tonight in the opening round of the NIT (National Invitational Tournament). I've heard the jokes (hey I've even told some of them). NIT = Not In Tournament. The other day I heard one - NIT = we need a new coach Not In Texas! Being in the NIT says volumes. It says there are 64 teams better than you (maybe more). It says you didn't make the grade. It's winning Miss Congeniality in the Miss America Pageant.

There are the usual suspects in the NIT - but Kentucky is not among that number. Many teams play all season just to get there, the Cats don't. They play for the big dance. They play for March Madness and the Final Four.

But I wonder how often the church is like the NIT. Many are satisfied to play for the consolation tournament. Many are too afraid to do things different so they too could go to the dance! Far too many are content to stay in the no-name conferences that do the same-old same-old never seeing lives changed. This is not just happening in churches - it is happening in entire denominations, and sadly in many individual lives. People and churches who want to play the game in a sub par way - hoping for their bid in the "also ran" tournament.

There is greatness in Kentucky - Patterson and Meeks are simply phenomenal - but they were surrounded by too many NIT level players. I hope they return next year. I hope Billy G gets it together next year. I hope we find a point guard next year. But all that's just a game. There's really nothing for me to lose in this...but some team pride.

Not so the game God has called us to play, the race we are supposed to win... listen to the words of Paul.

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."
1 Cor 9:24-27 (NIV)