Thursday, March 5, 2009

Facebook

240/ - 3.8 / 25 (today's weight / loss since last post/ total loss)

OK - I took the plunge and registered on Facebook - Wow! It has been amazing. I am up to 220 friends. I was previously on MySpace - but found it a total waste of time and pretty much a cesspool. I had only gotten on it to keep up with my son and his friends... that was down right disturbing (not my son - but some of his friends).

But Facebook has already been a great minstry tool for me. I have been able to finally put some more name to some faces. I have picked up little details about what is going on in folks lives (good and bad). And I have connected with some old friends (some from back in my high school days). I have been able to offer encouragement to folks that I would not have even known needed it.

Facebook is one of several sites in the whole "social networks"genre. It is designed to help people get and stay connected with others. I'm sure there are good and bad aspects to this... The good is that connections can be made.. the bad is that connections can be made... But as a venue it is in itself neutral.

But this whole "social networks" craze got me to thinking. What about God's "social network"? How does God want us to stay connected with him? The truth is God wants us to stay connected with him. And just like we have a variety of ways to stay connected with others (face to face, phone, text, Facebook, e-mail, etc) God has several "networks" we can plug into as well.

Here are some we need to really use. His word - it's like God's e-mail to us. Prayer - you could call it "spiritual texting" Fellowship with others in the body (much like facebook).

So how well are we connected in God's "social network"? And are we spending more time on Facebook than in Hisbook?

2 comments:

boyd said...

-25 sweeeet.... you'll be 180 before you know it!!!!

Deano said...

I'm working on it... still need to be more consistent with the treadmill!!!!