Monday, February 2, 2009

You've got to be kidding!

247 / +2 / 18 - I was bad - too many Superbowl snacks (especially hot wings!)

I read something called "Monday Morning Insight" almost every Monday - if not on Monday I read it later in the week. It is a collection of news and blog listings compiled weekly by Todd Rhodes. You may want to check it out and subscribe.

So I'm reading it and come across this article in Ethics Daily - it blew my mind! Here is a part of it... take the time to read the rest of it too.

The guy telling this story is a Pastor and his daughter is a server at a Chili's restaurant - You're not going to believe this.

"A group of six church-goers came in the other night after their evening services and sat down, not in her area but in another server's. When the girl came to greet them and take their drink order, one of them said, "We want to tell you up front that we will not be tipping you tonight because..... "

Are you ready?

"... we do not believe in people working on Sunday."

The rest of the story is amazing - but wow this got my dander up.

My wife and I both have worked in the food service industry. I know full well the reputation the "church crowd" has in restaurants. Most servers simply hate to wait on church people and here is why. And this is first hand experience.

- They are often rude (can you believe that?)
- They hog up a table forever in "fellowship"
- They have a reputation of being demanding.
- And the worst thing - they are notoriously cheap - often leaving no tip at all.
- And I've personally seen this one - leaving a gospel tract without a tip!

So here's the game plan. When you go on Sunday (or any other day) ask how Jesus would treat these people? He would love them right? How can we show them we love them? After all they are having to give up their weekend to work. And they have a predetermined negative view of the "church crowd".

- So be nice - I mean really nice, polite, patient, complimentary, encouraging, and grateful.
- Make them want you to be the one sitting in their station next time.
- Tip - and I mean tip generously. They are making a living serving you. Show them that not only do you care about the service they give - but more than that you care about them!
- Do the math! It is customary to tip at least 15% - anything less is considered cheap. Why not help lighten their load a bit by being a little extravagant here? Give them 20-30% and you can easily do this by simply drinking water that is free and pass on the Soda Pop.
- If you don't have enough money to tip - go to McDonald's or somewhere where tipping is not customary.

I know - there are some out there that think the extablishment should just pay them more - and maybe they should, but they don't and most likely won't. That's the system live with it or eat at home!

But if you just insist on being cheap - please for heaven's sake don't even give a hint that you know me if you see me there or have any association with Harmony. Enough people are going to hell because of hypocritical Christians who preach love but don't live it. We don't need the bad press!

2 comments:

DH said...

Agreed Dean, as a former food worker myself--you speak the truth. A little extra tip goes a LONG way.

Donovan said...

Very well said and I agree wholeheartedly!