Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Vision or "Latest and Greatest"?

243.2 / -1.9 / 21.8 (Today's weight / loss since last post / total loss)

I've been having an ongoing discussion with Dan and Justin about vision (with others chiming in occasionally). Here are some things that I've been thinking about.

1 - When it comes to vision, make sure it's God's not just the latest and greatest idea from another church or leader. You don't want to wind "up a Willow Creek without a Bill Hybils". Don't make the mistake of seeing how God's vision for a sister church is working and assume it will work for you.

2 - When it comes to Vision the biggest mistake we can make is putting it out there and then not following through with it. And this takes tenacity - you have to stay the course. God's vision will always call for change, change is hard and will always be resisted. But if it's God's vision you MUST STAY THE COURSE. If it's not God's vision why would we do it anyway? If it is God's vision why would we try anything else?

3 - Beware of distractions! I have made the mistake many times of saying yes to a good idea without considering the distractions to the true vision this new thing creates. Distractions can also come from well meaning, God loving people. "Did you hear what they are doing at "1st church"? Or "I read this guys blog - this is something we have to do". Wow, there's this great new book! While all of this can be good - it can also be distracting. When I find myself spending more time reading blogs than God's word something is wrong!

4 - Another temptation is to get caught up in the creative process and forget what the main thing is. I love being creative, I am surrounded by creative people, and I serve a creative God. God desires to be glorified in our creativity! But there is the temptation in trying to come up with something so cool that we loose sight of the message we are trying to get out or the vision we are following. While people may be attracted by the "wow factor" they will only be changed by God's vision being lived out in their lives.

5- The flip side of #4 is the danger of #5 - Not allowing God's inspiration of creativity to come out as we follow the vision. God deserves the very best we have to offer. God has brought certain people to our church - we need to utilize the gifts these people have for His Glory. And that means we must be creative! We just don't need to let the tail wag the dog.

6 - The last one (at least for now) is huge - it is the temptation to seek God's vision in the wrong places. God's vision will only come through time with God. Time in His word, on our knees, away from the table (fasting), etc. And while we hunger for God's vision - it is way to easy to just Google the topic and see what's going on in other churches and let that be our guide. What we must do is seek God first for the Vision and then, and only then, gain insight and help as needed from others.

OK - I've got to clean my reading glasses - I'm not sure my vision is as clear as it should be - how's yours?

3 comments:

boyd said...

Good Stuff Dean!!!

Love MATTERS said...

So true, so true. #6 is right on!

Donovan said...

Understanding the vision of God is tough. The Lord is pleased when we seek his direction. I have many times wondered what God wanted me to do. I sometimes feel a sense of completion of a task but I know though I will never be finished with my responsibility to God; only the road to get there may change. As you, I desire to be a vessel for the Lord and I am willing to be as creative as needed to win others to him.