Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Allergies

Allergies! Uggghhh! As I sit at my computer my nose is running and my head is thumping. While many suffer greatly from seasonal allergies (like my wife), for me it's generally just an irritation. This year has been a little worse. So I have been up close and personal with my Netti Pot, a box of Kleenex, and a variety of decongestants.

So what causes allergies? Well according to Wikipedia (the source of all knowledge) it is a hyper-sensitivity to otherwise normal environment sources. In my case, and most of you reading this it's pollen right now. That's why I have been doing a "rain dance" for several days. Hopefully the rain will clean the air of these microscopic irritants.

But what about spiritual allergies. OK - I've never heard anyone use this term - but here's my point. What about the normal things of life that wind up kicking our butts? And while they may not lead to runny noses, itchy eyes, and a trip to the pharmacy. They do really wreak havoc in our lives. Let me illustrate.

Work - God created us to work. We work so we can take care of our families, and to join with Him in the work He is already doing. But when a spiritual allergy flares up it causes folks to become work-a-holics. They become dominated by their jobs, success, and climbing the ladder.

Sex - while sex between two married people is a wonderful thing. There seems to be a sex allergy in our culture. People are just consumed with it. The devil has taken this wonderful gift from God and perverted it.

Sports - I love sports! I love playing and watching sports (almost every kind). But what happens when a relaxing past time becomes an all consuming obsession? Either for us or for our kids? Have you ever had a sports allergy?

The list could go on and on. So what can we do about it?

With physical allergies you can be tested to find out what to avoid and then get some medicine that will counteract the trouble makers.

Spiritually we need to do the same thing. The Word of God is the ultimate medicine and test for that matter. As we spend time in the Word it points out the trouble spots in our lives while at the same time giving us the needed resources to fight them.

David said it like this - "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Psa 119:11 (NIV)

The author of Hebrews said this, "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." (Heb 4:12 NIV)

So have you been to the "spiritual allergist" lately? If not - I highly recommend it!

2 comments:

SUNSHINE said...

Loved it!

Unknown said...

This is a neat perspective on allergies.