Monday, March 29, 2010

Prayer and Fasting

Paul and Barnabas appointed elders for them in each church and, with prayer and fasting, committed them to the Lord, in whom they had put their trust. Acts 14:23 (NIV)

In the early church they practiced and taught about prayer and fasting. So important was this practice that they did this prior to appointing Elders in the churches.

I want to ask all of you to join me this week in another important decision. I'm talking about the decision that many people need to make about who Jesus Christ is going to be in their lives.

This coming weekend is Easter and we will have a monster crowd. And among that crowd will be many that are not Christ Followers and many others that at best are "marginal".

I'm asking that you join me for at least one day of your choice of fasting. I'm not being legalistic about this... it is a fast of your choice. It could be a simple juice fast, or a total food fast with liquid only. Let the Lord lead you on this.

And while you do this take some specific time to pray for this weekend's services. Here are a few suggestions for prayer.

Pray for me that I will hear God clearly in preparing the message this week. Pray that God prepares the hearts of those who will be hearing it this weekend. Pray for the volunteers that will make this a great experience for those coming. Pray for the Praise Team that they will worship in such a way that we naturally join them in praise of God. Add to this list as God leads you.

The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
James 5:16b (NIV)