Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Coming Up Short

I like Monday Night Football - OK I like football period. And while watching MNF last night I was reminded of something I've been thinking about a lot lately.

In the game, the St Louis Rams were playing the NY Giants. Now I'm not particularly a fan of either team. NY has Eli Manning at the helm - certainly a star in his own right while the Rams are led by a young Turk named Sam Bradford.

What was interesting about the game was how the Rams dominated on offense yet still lost. On paper they should have won. What was the deciding factor? Turn overs, and an inability to score from "red zone" (that's area from the 20 yard line to your end zone).

That is why it made me think. How often in the church do we dominate on offense and yet fail to score? What I've been chewing on lately is this. I think we are just too busy. We have too much going on. And sadly a lot of activity does not equal spiritual growth. Along with the staff and Elders, we have been reading a book titled, "Simple Church". The premise is that we need a clear process where we lead people along a structured path. A path that goes from someone not knowing God to connecting with Him and His people. Then moving them onto discipleship and service.

What I'm realizing, along with others is that a lot of activity is just that, a lot of activity. So some changes are coming. You'll have to wait to see what that means, but it is coming.

While losing a game on Monday Night is bad for the Rams. Losing the battle for souls is unimaginably worse. Let's all make sure we are not dominating on offense and yet failing to win!

No comments: